Wednesday, August 12, 2009

who wants chipotle..night?

Today I decided that I was gonna give out my recipes for my at home going out meal. One of the favorite restaurants in my household is Chipotle, and though I do not like paying their prices their food is delicious. So..I make my own burrito bowls/tacos at home. Here are the recipes.

Carnitas

3lbs of pork shoulder or bone in pork roast or boneless pork roast cut into cubes (PS leave the fat on)
1 Tbsp adobo seasoning
1/2 c. orange juice
1 clove garlic chopped
1/2 onion chopped
4 cups water

put everything in the crock pot on low and cook for at least 6 hours...the longer you leave it the more tender it will get, when it is done I usually throw it on the stove so the water can cook out and when the water cooks out the fat will turn into lard and the meat will fry up a bit so it turns a bit crunchy..which tastes awesome!

I also make white rice and add some cilantro to it and heat up a can of pinto beans and add some salt.

Basically to assemble the burrito bowls, you take a bowl and put some cilantro rice in it, followed by the beans (or no beans if you prefer), and then the meat. I then add cheese (Mexican melting cheese is the best for the recipe) and salsa, followed by lettuce and corn-tomatillo pico di gallo and sour cream.

Here is my recipe for the pico.

Corn-Tomatillo Pico di Gallo
2 large tomatoes, diced
2 jalapenos, chopped
2 large tomatillos, diced
2 small cloves of garlic, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
handful of cilantro, chopped
1 Tbsp salt (or salt to taste)
juice from 1 lime
1/2 cup frozen corn

Mix everything together in a bowl. Cover and leave in fridge for at least an hour to let the flavors meld together.

These recipes aren't too hard to make and hopefully this helps all you Chipotle addicts to save some money by making your own at home. I know we have. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Lisa, this sounds very grand! I'm going to try this recipe real soon! And I didn't know that you could cook like that! That's awesome. Anyways, I know you're busy and all so as my mom says when I'm in the kitchen: "Do your thang, chicken-wang!" Haha. Later.

    BC

    ReplyDelete