Saturday, February 23, 2013

Enchiladas 2 ways, and the Ultimate Chocolate Mug Cake

      I have been absent for awhile recently and I don't really have any excuse other than me being lazy. I don't know if its the weather or what but I have been entirely non-productive. Whatever, I need to get rid of the excuses and just get back to work.
      So, this year has been huge for me as far as changing the way I eat and what I put into my body. I successfully quit smoking, have limited my alcohol consumption to two drinks at any given time (mostly wine) and as of a week and half ago I gave up soda. Don't get me wrong, I miss soda, or pop, as us in the Midwest like to call it, and honestly, the withdrawal effects are horrible. I've been cranky, in pain, tired (slept til noon today, NOON!!), and just plain uncomfortable.
      Now, there are two things that are going on here. 1) My body is detoxing from all the sugar, or b) my body is detoxing from the lack of caffeine. I don't know which it is, but I'm going to be completely forthcoming here. I don't know how long I can go without drinking a Coke. I know there will be a point where I'm going to want one, and rather than beat myself up about it I'm going to say that it is my "treat". We never had soda in my house as a kid, so I think I can keep this up for awhile, but I'm human, and flawed. I'll keep you updated. Anyways, that is my personal health story, as I try to keep it as "real" as possible and let you know how my discovery and journey of getting back to being healthy goes.



      Now here's to what you really want. Just because I haven't been posting does not mean I have not been cooking. I actually have a pile of recipes, and another handful of recipes that I haven't quite figured out (like my chickpea flat bread pizza). As you know, one of my "cravings" while being vegan and gluten-free has been spicy foods, well, salty and spicy. This satisfies both of those cravings. Also, I'm throwing in the BEST, and I really mean BEST gf/vegan mug cake recipe ever. It is soooo good, and it doesn't even taste like it's gf/vegan. First things first though.


       Enchiladas are one food that I have always enjoyed. Pre-veganism I would eat barbacoa ones, chicken ones, and cheese ones, smothered in mole sauce, salsa verde or red sauce, mmmmm! Well, I don't eat any of those things anymore, and even the sauces usually had chicken bouillon in it. Sounds weird, right? Well, in Mexican cooking they use a lot of bouillon. At least that's the way I was taught by my exe's family from Mexico City. Seriously, this white girl can cook Mexican food like nobody's business. My salsa verde is famous among my friends. These enchiladas have all the flavor you would expect from typical ones except they are completely vegan and gluten free! The stuffing is a mixture of spinach, onions, and mushrooms, and you can top them with any enchilada sauce of your choice. It doesn't even have to be homemade.

Spinach and Mushroom Enchiladas with Salsa Verde or Mole
serves 4 people, 3 enchiladas apiece
 Enchiladas
12 corn tortillas
2 C. mushrooms (chopped)
1 C. onions (chopped)
3 C. packed spinach (chopped)
2 cloves garlic (minced)
1 tsp. Mexican Oregano
2 tsp. Bragg's Liquid Amino's
1/8 tsp. Cumin
1/2 C. vegan/gf "cheese" of your choice (optional)
Over medium-high heat cook mushrooms, and onions until water has been reduced and onions are translucent. Add  garlic, spinach and seasonings, cook until spinach has wilted. Set aside.
Mole Sauce
3 dried Pasilla peppers, de-seeded and soaked in 3 cups of hot water.
1/2 C. onion (chopped)
2 cloves garlic (minced)
1 tsp. Mexican oregano
1 Tbsp. cocoa powder or 1 oz of dark chocolate.
1 C. tomato sauce
3 Tbsp. brown rice flour
2 tsp. Bragg's Liquid Amino's
Add everything into a blender and blend on high until smooth and no lumps remain.
Salsa Verde
1 LB tomatillos (outer paper skin removed)
1/2 C. onion 
2 cloves garlic
1 Jalapeno (you can de-seed it for less heat)
2 1/2 cups water
Handful of cilantro
Juice from 1 lime
1 bouillon cube (I use the not-chicken kind that is gf/vegan, available at whole foods and fruitful yield)
salt to taste
 In a saucepan combine tomatillos, onion, garlic, jalapeno and water. Let boil until tomatillos are soft (approx 10-15 minutes). Let cool for a bit then pour into a blender and add the rest of the ingredients and blend until smooth. 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and in a 9x13 pan spread enough sauce on the bottom to cover it. 
Now from this point you can just heat your tortillas up, so they can become pliable and you can just stuff them, or you can do what I do, which is dip them in some enchilada sauce. Not a lot, just enough to coat them, then you add the filling, roll it up and put it seam side down in the pan. When all are rolled and in the pan, pour the remaining sauce over them and top with chopped onions, vegan cheese and cilantro (or nothing) and cover with foil. Bake for 25-30 minutes and enjoy!


Second recipe is the Ultimate Chocolate Mug Cake, which from start to finish takes about 5 minutes, tops! It's great for when you are having a chocolate or a sweet tooth craving.

Ultimate Chocolate Mug Cake
serves 1
1 Tbsp. + 2 tsp cocoa powder
2 Tbsp. rice flour (white or brown, either works)
1 Tbsp. coconut flour
2 Tbsp. vegan sugar (I use coconut sugar, if you haven't tried it, do so. It's divine!)
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 Tbsp. coconut oil (melted)
2 Tbsp. applesauce (unsweetened)
3 Tbsp. non-dairy milk (I use unsweetened almond milk)
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
Combine all ingredients into a mug and mix well. Cook on high in the microwave for 45-60 seconds.
You can also add 1 Tbsp chopped nuts, or vegan chocolate chips to the batter before microwaving. I personally top mine with soy dreamy ice cream. 
Doesn't that look awesome?! Enjoy!!










No comments:

Post a Comment