Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Mac and "cheese" and the best cream base. Also, dishes are the worst chore ever!


      I didn't post yesterday because I had to take the doggies to the groomer to get spiffed up since they were looking a little ragged. This is what they look like now.


      Daawwww! Aren't they cuties? Mia is the one on the left, she's a disabled mini schnauzer who I rescued at 3 months from a puppy mill. Both of her back paws are deformed and she only has 2 toes and toenails (instead of 4). The other one is Doctor Dude, and I'm pretty sure he is mentally challenged to some extent. Anyways, enough about those two, lets talk food.
      I'm gonna pray to myself that this makes sense because I have been in the kitchen for going on 10 hours. I don't even know what I did to tell you the truth, that's where I am at right now, ha ha. I love mac and cheese, I mean, what American doesn't? I have yet to meet a person that doesn't like mac and cheese. I even remember when we would spend part of our summers in the Czech Republic my grandma would bring two things for us eat when we were there; 1)Peanut Butter 2)Kraft Macaroni and Cheese.  When my twin was in Italy for her semester abroad, I even sent her PB and the cheese packets from the mac and cheese. So mac and cheese is a USA ('Merica) staple as far as I am concerned.
      Well, when I was diagnosed with Celiac's, mac and cheese kinda went off the table, and it went even farther when I became a vegan. I actually haven't had mac and cheese up until like January when I stumbled upon a box of GF/Vegan mac and cheese at a Woodman's (BTW BEST FREAKING STORE EVER). It was like $4.50, which to me, is expensive for one little thing, (gf/vegan things cost sooo much more than the regular stuff it still shocks me to some extent), it was delicious and totally worth it.
      I am a very conscientious eater, I prefer not to use the word picky, because I eat pretty much everything (gluten-free and vegan, of course), I just like knowing where my food comes from and how it's made. Because of this, I decided to look up some vegan mac and cheese recipes, and after playing around with a couple of them and adding and subtracting ingredients I finally came up with something I liked, well, not just liked, because I kinda devoured half of it, kinda. Believe me, I spend almost everyday in the kitchen and would not post anything on here that I am not proud of. So please, please, please, if anyone makes any of this stuff, tell me if you like it! So, let's get to making some Mac and Cheese, or Mac and "Cheese", if you prefer.
GF/Vegan Mac and Cheese
serves 4, generously
1 lb gluten-free elbow or shell macaroni (I used tinkyada brown rice shells)
14 oz vegan cream (see recipe after this one)
1/2 C. toasted cashews, walnuts or almonds (I used cashews)
3 cloves garlic
1/4 C. olive oil
1 very large vidalia onion (chopped)
2 Tbsp. rice flour
2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. hot sauce (or more, I used more, a lot more)
3/4 C. nutritional yeast
2 1/2 C. unsweetened non-dairy milk (I used almond milk)
1 cup vegan cheese of your choice ( I used teese, it's awesome!)

Boil pasta according to package, drain, and set aside. *To get noodles to not stick together add a little olive oil to the pot and when water is boiling add pasta and stir for about a minute.*
Put some olive oil in a pan and saute onions over low heat until they caramelize. Set aside. (I know this takes awhile, but it is SO totally worth it). In a blender or food processor blend nuts until meal-like, then add vegan cream and garlic and blend until smooth.
In a BIG POT, over medium heat,  heat up the oil, when oil is hot add flour, mustard, onion and garlic powders, paprika, hot sauce, and nutritional yeast. Whisk everything together until it turns a medium brown color, then slowly add in vegan cream and non-dairy milk. Put heat up to high and let it cook for about 5 minutes, it should start to thicken up. 
Add pasta, onions and vegan cheese to sauce mixture and stir to cover and heat through. Salt and pepper to taste
You can eat this plain, with a vegan chili like I did. You can also add veggies and fake meat (or tofu) to it and make a casserole out of it!
chili cheese mac, amaze-balls!


Vegan Cream Base
1 container of silken tofu
1 can of coconut milk

Blend together in a food processor or blender. 

It's that easy. Also, this stuff is awesome and very versatile, you can use it to make cream soup bases, ice cream, cheese sauce, in place of cream in any baking recipe (I have actually added coconut sugar to it and let it cook on the stove to get a sweetened, condensed milk.).
Enjoy!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment