Thursday, July 16, 2009

Hungry woman's hummus!

I love, love, love hummus, but I hate paying 4 bucks for a little container of it at the store. So, I do what any money-minded girl does, make my own! Now for all of you that don't know, hummus is healthy and it's REALLY easy to make. So that sounds like a win-win in my book. Here's the recipe that I use.

Hungry Woman's Hummus
1 can garbanzo beans(chick peas) drained, reserve the water from the can
2 Tbsp. Tahini (can be found in most grocery stores)
2 garlic cloves
3 Tbsp. lemon juice
salt to taste

Take the garbanzo beans, tahini, garlic and lemon juice and throw them all in your food processor. Blend until you get a peanut butter like consistency. (if its too thick throw some of the water from the can, it works wonderfully).
Salt to taste. I wait until the end to salt it because usually I don't even need to salt it, the water from the can has salt in it.

To serve the hummus I put it on a plate and top it with some olive oil and paprika! Best served with warmed pita bread or pita chips, but also tasty with veggies and regular crackers!
Also, there are many variations of hummus, this is a basic hummus. To make other flavors such as roasted red pepper add 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of roasted red peppers. For roasted garlic, roast the garlic before you pop it into the food processor. For sun-dried tomato, add 1/3 c. sun-dried tomatoes.
Look at how simple it is, and its soo good! Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment