Sunday, April 14, 2013

Sourdough Starter and Pancakes

I love pancakes. There are probably few things in life better than waking up on a Saturday morning and getting breakfast. I love breakfast, actually, no I don't, I love brunch. Anything that happens before I get out of bed at 9am is usually lost on me. I typically don't get my day started, I mean up and ready to get stuff done, until around 10. I realize I am fortunate enough to be able to do this. Anyways, this have given me plenty of time for the perfect GF and Vegan pancake. The thing is, the big secret, is the sourdough starter. It really makes these pancakes special. Honestly, with real maple syrup and butter they are better than donuts, and hot GF donuts are a-maz-ing! Anyways, yes this recipe requires extra work, but believe me, when you eat them, you won't care. You can even make a double batch and freeze the rest, how cool is that?

First things first. Make this Starter recipe on Monday if you want pancakes on Saturday, you will thank me later, as the starter needs to sit for 3 days before you can use it.


Sourdough Starter

1 c. water, needs to be between 110-115ºF
2 1/4 tsp. or 1 packet of yeast
1 1/2 c. rice flour or GF Flour (Do not use a mix that has any gums in it.)

 Mix and store in a 1 quart or larger container. *Do not use a metal bowl or spoon*. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let stand for 3 days, mixing 2-3 times daily. After day 3, either use, refrigerate, or replenish.
 To replenish, add; 
1 c. warm water, below 115ºF
1 1/2 c. rice flour or GF Flour (Do not use a mix that has any gums in it.)
Let sit someplace warm for 12 hours. Ready to use afterwards, just make sure you leave at least 1 c. of starter for future recipes. 


Sourdough Pancakes
makes 1 dozen regular pancakes

1 1/4 c. sourdough starter (see recipe above)
1 Tbsp. oil
2 Tbsp. vegan sugar (I use coconut sugar.)
3/4 c. non-dairy milk (I use almond milk.)
1 GF Flour Mix (I use my own, but I'm sure Bob's Red Mill or Better Batter would work)
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
Optional- 1 cup mix-ins (Mix-ins can be blueberries, bananas, chocolate chips, nuts, whatever you want. I used blueberries)

Mix together the wet ingredients; starter, oil, sugar, and milk, together in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, whisk together dry ingredients; GF Flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add dry mix to wet mix and stir to combine, should be batter like. Fold in mix-ins, if any. 
Over medium-low heat, oil pan. Pour batter onto the hot pan and cook until brown, then flip. Continue for each pancake, until all batter is used. 




No comments:

Post a Comment