Monday, April 15, 2013

Sweet Corn Tamale Cakes

      This is a recipe that I have fallen in love with, reason being, I used to work at The Cheesecake Factory, and since I was a vegetarian, I would order these at least once a week. Once I moved on from that job, I would still make these, but not often, as they were a bit time consuming. 
      The only reason these aren't very time consuming for me now, is because I short-cut it. I almost always have a fresh container of pico de gallo and salsa verde ( salsa verde recipe) in my fridge, and if not there I have a canned jar in my pantry and I always have the raw ingredients on hand.  So the only thing I really have to make is the southwestern sauce and the cakes, which is super easy. You can always use the original recipe which is right here ----->Sweet Corn Tamale Cakes and use the recipe for the pico and salsa verde that is on there as well!



Sweet Corn Tamale Cakes
makes 8 medium sized cakes

1 1/2 sweet corn, fresh or frozen
1/2 c. vegan butter (I use Earth Balance.)
3 Tbsp. vegan sugar (I use coconut sugar.)
1/8 tsp. salt (It's a pinch of salt, if you don't have a 1/8 tsp. I have actually never even seen one.)
1/2 c. GF masa harina (It's just corn flour but could be CC if made in a wheat-processing facility. I haven't had any problems with mine.)
2 Tbsp. GF Flour Mix (I use my own without any gums.)

Preheat oven to 400ºF. Puree 1 c. of corn in food processor and add butter, sugar and salt, combine until smooth. Add masa harina, and GF flour, and mix until smooth. Mix in remaining corn by hand. On a parchment lined pan, measure out 1/4 cup sized patties and make into 2-3 inch patties. Put into oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until browned on one side, then flip and bake for another 5-7 minutes until other side is browned. 

Southwestern Sauce
1/2 c. vegan mayo (I use veganaise.)
1 tsp. white vinegar
1 tsp. water
3/4 tsp. vegan sugar or agave (I use coconut sugar.)
1/4 tsp. paprika
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/8 tsp. onion powder
salt and garlic powder to taste

Mix everything together in a small bowl and chill in fridge.

Optional toppings: Sliced avocado, cilantro.
Enjoy!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment