Monday, April 8, 2013

Sweet Potato Tots with Dipping Sauce

       I LOVE tots, actually I'm pretty sure any person in my generation loves tater-tots, and if they don't, they might be an alien. There is something about those warm, crisp, golden nuggets of potato that will always, ALWAYS, make me feel better. Bad day? Have some tots! Not feeling well? Have some tots! Seriously, if you knew the amount of time that I have spent on trying to find tots/eating tots/talking about tots, you would think I have a problem. A hot-tot problem. And well.... I kind of do. I already knew how to make tots with regular potatoes, but a bit ago I went to a restaurant and they had sweet potato tots. Wow, you can imagine the emotions went through me at that point. I love sweet potatoes, and now you are telling me that they make tater-tots out of them? Why wasn't I informed? Who kept this secret from me? Anyways, it was love at first bite, and I knew at that moment I needed to make my own.
      So my main thing that I try to do, cooking-wise, at least, is take a regular recipe and make it into a GF/Vegan recipe. That's what I did here. This is the original recipe -----------> Sweet Potato and Bacon Tots with Creamy Mustard Sauce. Obviously, me being GF and Vegan, I couldn't keep the recipe the way it was, so I changed it, and it turned out amazing! It's a bit time consuming, but so worth it. I also suggest that if you make it, double the recipe and flash fry/freeze half to put into the freezer and then you can bake them just like you would with store bought bagged ones.


Sweet Potato and Coconut Bacon Tots 

2 large sweet potatoes
3 Tbsp. coconut bacon (aka Facon)
1/2 tsp. salt
3 heaping tsp. gluten-free flour
1 tsp. flax meal
3 C. oil


Boil sweet potatoes for 15 minutes, then pulse in food processor until chopped finely. Or shred on box grater. Put sweet potatoes into a clean and dry dishtowel and wring out water from potatoes. 
Add the coconut bacon, salt, flour and flax meal and mix well to combine.
Roll into a small log and cut into tater-tot sized pieces.
Heat oil to 300 degrees F. Working in batches, fry tots until golden brown in color. About 2-3 minutes. 
Sprinkle with salt while still hot. Serve with sauce (recipe below) or sometimes I wait for them to cool down some more and sprinkle some powdered sugar and cinnamon on top of them. Totally turns it into carnival fried junk status but with less guilt, because it's still a sweet potato.

Creamy Vegan Mustard Sauce 

3 Tbsp. vegan mayo
2 Tbsp. maple syrup (honey works too, if you eat honey)
2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard 
salt and pepper to taste

Mix together ingredients until smooth and keep in fridge until ready to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment