Thursday, April 4, 2013

GF/Vegan Chex Mix

      I have been absent, but I have been active. I have been working on jewelry, purses, and still cooking, all while trying to get into the spirit of spring cleaning. We finally have nice weather here and the sun is out and frankly, I am so happy to just spend time outside I have been neglecting my blog. Recently, I've been making a lot of snacks to keep me going and this is another one of them. I'm actually kind of obsessed with this stuff, seeing as Chex Mix was one of my favorite snack foods pre-GF. This satisfies my cravings for salt and I believe it is healthier because instead of butter I use an Earth Balance/Coconut Oil mix. Keep in mind, this is a snack food, meant to be snacked on, not made a meal of. Keep that in mind, I know that it can be difficulty, especially with this stuff, but just because it is GF and Vegan doesn't mean it is automatically 100% good for you.

 Gluten-Free and Vegan Chex Mix
Makes 10 cups
 
1/4 C. coconut oil
1/4 C.  Earth Balance buttery spread
2 Tbsp Bragg's liquid aminos or GF/Vegan Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp. seasoning salt
1/4 tsp. garlic powder or 1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. onion powder
3 C. Rice Chex
3 C. Corn Chex
2 C. popped popcorn or more Chex
1 C. mixed nuts
1 C. GF pretzels or I used my homemade GF/Vegan Cheese crackers

      Pre-heat oven to 250 and melt coconut oil and Earth Balance in a roaster pan. Mix together all the spices and add to the oil mixture. Add all Chex, popcorn, nuts, and crackers into a bowl and mix together and add to roaster pan with spices and coconut oil. Stir to coat Chex mixture, bake at 250 for 45min-1hr, stirring every 15-20 minutes. Let cool, on paper towels to absorb excess oil, then store in airtight container. 

Will keep for about 2 weeks before going stale, if you can keep it around that long. Enjoy!!



No comments:

Post a Comment