Monday, March 18, 2013

Cabbage with Facon and Noodles

      First off, I am a big fan of noodles. I love carbs, (I think I have said this before..), pasta, bread, cookies, cake, potatoes, you name it, I will most likely eat it. I'm Czech, so, I think that has a bit to do with it. Mmmm, dumplings!! This is dish is probably one of my top 10 favorite things to eat of all time. To me it is comfort food, and with the wind howling outside and the lack of sunshine, I'm in need of some comfort. (Spring? Where are you?) It is like 5 ingredients, which makes it really easy to make. You know I love easy! My grandma would make this with bacon, egg noodles and sour cream instead of the coconut bacon, GF shells, and vegan sour cream, so you can go that route if that's what suites you. So without further ado, I give you Cabbage with Facon and Noodles! *coconut bacon is now called facon for all general purposes because that's what my friend Stephanie calls it and she said I can't call it bacon. I will not argue with her, she will probabaly beat me up, just kidding, I hope.*

Cabbage with Facon and Noodles
serves a lot, at least 4, I make a quarter of this recipe and it is a VERY generous portion

1 head cabbage (shredded or diced)
1 medium onion (diced)
1 Cup facon (fake bacon, I use my coconut bacon)
1 lb  gf noodles (I use whatever GF noodles I have on hand, today it was shells)
1 container of vegan sour cream (I have also used vegan, unsweetened yogurt with good results.)
1 Cup water (optional)
salt and pepper to taste

Boil noodles according to directions on the packaging. Drain and set aside.
In a large saucepan, add some olive oil and saute cabbage and onions until wilted and very tender. When cabbage/onion mixture is done, add noodles, facon, and sour cream. *If you do not have enough sour cream you can add water to get to the consistency you want, heck, use veggie broth.  I have never had this problem but I see how it could happen* Salt and pepper, and heat until sauce is constancy you like and everything is heated through. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment