Saturday, March 2, 2013

Bliss Bites aka Fruit and Nut Bites

      I wasn't going to post anything else tonight, but I made something so great that I felt the need to share. I am fully obsessed with fruit and nut bars, Kind bars and Larabars are my favorites. Unfortunately, the one thing I don't like is the cost. So I thought I'd look at the ingredients and see if I could maybe make a mock of these and low and behold you can! It's actually really easy! 1 part dried fruit puree to 1 part chopped nuts. I actually took it one step further and added in some flaxseed meal because it's good for you. Yea, just trust me and make these already.

Almond, Cranberry Coconut Bliss Bites!

Bliss Bites!
makes about 20 melon ball sized bites
1/2 C dried fruit (I used a mixture of dried cranberries and dried apricots)
1/2 C nuts (I used almonds)
2-3 Tbsp. water
1 Tbsp. Flaxseed meal or you can use ground Chia seeds or even whole Chia seeds for more crunch!
Optional- Unsweetened coconut, finely chopped nuts, or flaked chocolate to roll bites in.

      In a food processor, chop nuts until roughly chopped, not mealy, but I'd say small pieces. If there are some big pieces in there that is perfectly OK. Put nuts into another bowl and set aside. Next put dried fruit into the food processor and pulse, once it starts sticking together you might need to add the water in by the tablespoon. This will give you a chunky paste. Add fruit paste to chopped nuts, add in the flaxseed meal and mix well. Refrigerate mixture for a half hour. Then take out and start rolling into balls, or if you are like me and kinda a perfectionist when it comes to food you can use a melon baller to get a great size. At this point you can leave them, but if you plan to take them anywhere or leave them in your purse (like I do) they can kinda get nasty if you just leave them in a bag. I roll mine in coconut, more nuts (this is more like a nut-meal), or chocolate.

     Just try not to eat like all of them in one sitting. They are healthy but come on, if you eat the whole batch it's really not that healthy. ...But if no-one is there to see it, did you really eat the whole batch?

Oh, and dude thought he would help me type up this up and by help I mean giving the computer the stink-eye. He's such a helper!

No comments:

Post a Comment